RE: sh script works, zsh script doesn't

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Dave Korn wrote:

On 26 May 2006 06:29, Vidiot wrote:

But, if anyone has a clue as to why starting of a Windblows program from
a Z-shell doesn't work, yet from a shell-script, it does, I'd certainly
appreciate knowing.

Well, isn't it going to be because sh and zsh are different shells with different syntax and commands and rules about quoting and escaping?

I doubt that's it, because zsh strives to be fully sh compatable (as well as ksh and mostly bash-ish). No, the real problem is likely something else.

Vidiot doesn't really state how zsh fails, so I'd really like more
details as to what he's seeing.

echo "#!/bin/sh" > $LOG
echo "#Starting TSReader at $DATE" >> $LOG
echo "tsreader -1 -d -i -s tsreader_twinhan1030.dll $MUX \
	${DRIVE}:\\${FILENAME}-${DATE}.ts $LENGTH \
	$FREQ 0 $SYMB $LOFREQ 0" >> $LOG
chmod 775 $LOG
$LOG

#tsreader -1 -d -i -s tsreader_twinhan1030.dll $MUX
${DRIVE}:\\${FILENAME}-${DATE}.ts $LENGTH $FREQ 0 $SYMB $LOFREQ 0

Hmmm. Peculiar. Both bash (which is what you get for sh under cygwin) and zsh understand the -x option, which prints out each line of script as you execute it. Try modifying the first line to each of "#!/usr/bin/zsh -x" and #!/usr/bin/sh -x" and running it that way; it should let you see what actual args are getting passed to tsreader.

   cheers,
     DaveK

-- Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com> "Cats are just autistic Dogs" -- Dr. Tony Attwood