Re: Windows Vista Beta 2

"Robert Pendell" <shinji257@uplink.net> wrote in message news:e30cv7$ul2$1@sea.gmane.org...
Jennifer Smith wrote:
I tried to install cygwin on the Windows Vista Beta 2 (build 5308), here
are the problems I've run into:
1) During package install bash seems to crash.
I get this dialog from windows:
Please close bash.exe
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will
notify you if a solution is available.

This occurs (it appears) once per package.

2) After install tools crash. About one in three times I run ls in
/usr/bin I get:

[foo@bar /usr/bin]$ ls
     6 [main] ? (4596) C:\cygwin\bin\tcsh.exe: *** fatal error -
couldn't alloc
ate heap, Win32 error 0, base 0x800000, top 0x89B000, reserve_size
[snip snip]

I don't see it likely that cygwin will be actively supported on Vista until that OS is officially released or there is at minimum a public beta.

Also last I checked beta 2 hasn't come out.  They were still releasing
refresh releases for Beta 1.

I just wanted to confirm that Beta 2 has been released, and it seems that the problems still happen.

I thought #2 was gone, but it happens only every now and then - run ls a half a dozen times after setting up my path, and it'll cause the error.

I'm sure if anyone was interested in following up on this, MS would be happy to sign them up for the beta program. I've filed a couple bugs under app compat with Microsoft on this.

--
Ryan Watkins
ryan@ryanwatkins.net