Re: slow share = slow scripts?

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 10:57:03AM -0700, clayne wrote:
>On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 12:34:10PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
>>Here is what I am talking about:
>>~$ mount h:/mwoehlke/src /usr/src
>>mount: defaulting to '--no-executable' flag for speed since native path
>>       references a remote share.  Use '-f' option to override.
>>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>>...neither 'mount --help' or 'man mount' makes *any* mention of this
>>additional functionality of the '-f' flag.  See?  I'm *not* imagining
>>things.  :-)
>
>The guy was simply stating that he's human and headn't read it yet.  He
>also pointed out that an implicit behavior was not explicitly
>documented as such, but more so infered by output when using the
>--no-executable flag.
>
>'  -f, --force                   force mount, don't warn about missing mount
>point directories '
>
>To you guys saying 'get off the computer' I suggest you put the pedant
>pills back in the bathroom and go have a smoke or something - because
>you're being a dick about it.

Language, please.  Warning #1.

>Cut people some slack for once - they're on the same side as you trying to
>achieve the same goals.

What you apparently are failing to realize is that while people
certainly have human foibles, there is no need to go out of your way
expose them to a mailing list read by thousands of people.  It isn't
necessary or interesting.

The correct response to someone telling you to use "-f" is to read the
man page and, when you see that you've had a previous misconception
about "-f", nod to yourself and get on with your life.  You don't have
to send email telling us all that you thought "-f" meant something else,
(especially when you hadn't previously exposed your misconception) and
you surely don't have to send *two* messages explaining your confusion
when there really is nothing to be confused about.

cgf