Re: slow share = slow scripts?

mwoehlke wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
On 05/25/2006, mwoehlke wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Take a look at the -x, -E, and -X flags of 'mount'. Perhaps these
will help
you.

Hmm, those are mutually contradictory... guess I'll "experiment". Out of curiosity, what are any of these expected to do?

They are indeed mutually exclusive. See 'man mount' for an explanation of the
flags. You might want to try -x or -X.

Right, I *was* looking at the man, which is why I was confused. It doesn't say why this would help, though; does it somehow allow Cygwin to skip the fstat() call? Also, why *is* fstat() so inefficient? Can anything be done about it?

-x and -X tell Cygwin to treat all files under that mount point (or the file itself, if that's what you gave to mount) as executable. That keeps Cygwin from needing to ask the file for this information, which would otherwise mean the file has to be opened to make the determination.

I *am* going to play with them, if I can convince Cygwin to let me *un*mount the path. :-)

You could use the '-f' flag to 'mount'.

Holliston, MA 01746