Re: slow share = slow scripts?

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
mwoehlke wrote:
I'm trying to run some scripts off of a slow network share, and it takes *forever* in Cygwin (it's OK in Interix).

Looking at an strace (attached) via 'sort -n' shows a LOT of time being spent in read(), apparently just after (caused by?) an fstat(), which means this feels like an inefficiency somewhere in Cygwin's POSIX emulation. Other than "RTFSC", does anyone have any ideas what I could do (workarounds, etc) so that I can run scripts in a reasonable amount of time? (Might this have anything to do with my share being non-writable?)

Take a look at the -x, -E, and -X flags of 'mount'. Perhaps these will help you.

Hmm, those are mutually contradictory... guess I'll "experiment". Out of curiosity, what are any of these expected to do?

Sorry for the .bz2, but 248k seemed a little excessive :-).

And actually sending unsolicited straces to the list is discouraged.

Sorry, didn't know that... it seemed relevant.

Somewhat OT, why does 'strace bash -c foo > /foo_strace' generate a file with DOS line-endings? None of my mounts are 'textmode'...

'strace' does not use cygwin1.dll.

Ah, makes sense, thanks.

--
Matthew
...Ruthlessly beating Windows with a hammer until it looks like POSIX.