Re: Cygwin: texi2dvi stumbles over texinfo.tex

Hi Dave,

* Dave Korn wrote on Tue, May 23, 2006 at 03:41:51PM CEST:
> On 23 May 2006 13:13, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>
> [ As per cygwin-L tradition, I am replying only to the lists; Ralf, if you see
> this and Karl does not, please feel free to forward it. ]

I'm sure Karl reads bug-texinfo; he may just be busy with more important
issues ATM.  And I guess there was some moderation latency for
bug-automake.

> >> I believe it's a Cygwin problem and/or TeX installation problem on the
> >> particular machine.  In essence, texi2dvi is doing this:
> >>   echo '\input texinfo @bye' >txiversion.tex
> >>   tex txiversion.tex
> >>
> >> The error message from TeX means that the binary ("tex", which was
> >> hardwired) being run is trying to load a .fmt that was written by
> >> something else ("etex").  It has nothing to do with the contents of the
> >> file.
>
>   Ok, you got me curious.  How does TeX know what application wrote the file
> if it's not "to do with" the contents of that file?

I can't answer this.

>   However, I've observed problems with cygwin's web2c/... files before, the
> perms can get messed up somehow and need chowning; they can end up owned by
> 'None', which means that everyone gets the O (out of UGO) perms, which in a
> lot of cases are '---', ie. access for user and group only.  See
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-03/msg00454.html
>
> for more; I don't know if this is the cause of your problem but I
> guess it's worth checking the perms on the relevant machine.

Well, that would have been nice if it were the cause of the problem.
Alas, for me it isn't: I'm both the only user and the administrator and
installer of my Cygwin installation, which exists solely to make sure
some supposed-to-be portable software continues to run there as well.

Making all files and directories below /var/lib/texmf and
/usr/share/texmf owned, readable, and writable by the right users and
groups did not help one bit.  Removing etex.fmt and rerunning
$ texi2dvi textutils.texi

manually led to this output, pasted below, and still no DVI.  Although
still PDF builds fine.  If I'm to try something different, please bear
in mind that, to date, I've been blissfully ignorant of how TeX
installations work, mostly because they've always worked for me.

Cheers, and thanks for your help,
Ralf

This is e-TeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
 file:line:error style messages enabled.
 %&-line parsing enabled.
---! /home/ralf/.texmf/var/web2c/etex.fmt was written by pdfetex
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt etex.fmt
fmtutil: running `pdfetex -ini   -jobname=etex -progname=etex -translate-file=cp
227.tcx *etex.ini' ...
This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4) (INITEX)
 file:line:error style messages enabled.
 %&-line parsing enabled.
 (/usr/share/texmf/web2c/cp227.tcx)
entering extended mode
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/plain/config/etex.ini
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/pdftexconfig.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/plain/etex/etex.src
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/plain/base/plain.tex Preloading the plain format: codes,
registers, parameters, fonts, more fonts, macros, math definitions,
output routines, hyphenation (/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/hyphen.tex
[skipping from \patterns to end-of-file...]))
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/plain/etex/etexdefs.lib Skipping module "grouptypes";
Skipping module "iftypes";) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/plain/config/language.def
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/hyphen.tex))
Augmenting the Plain TeX definitions: \tracingall;
Adding new e-TeX definitions: \eTeX, \loggingall, \tracingnone,
register allocation; extended register allocation;
Recycling: \addlanguage, \@nswer (not defined), \@sk, \b@dresponsetrue,
\b@dresponsefalse, \ch@ckforyn, \mayber@cycle, \et@xabort, \et@xbuf,
\et@xfmtsrc, \et@xfilehdr, \et@xinf, \et@xpatterns, \l@ngdefnfile, \n@xt,
\p@rse (not defined), \pr@mpt (not defined), \pr@mptloop (not defined),
\forcer@cycle, \usef@llback, \usef@llbacktrue, \usef@llbackfalse,
Retaining: \et@xerr, \et@xinput, \et@xlibhdr, \et@xmsg, \et@xtoks, \et@xwarn,
\et@xl@@d, \et@xl@ad, \et@xload, \et@xlang, \et@xhash, \eTeX, \etexhdrchk,
\etexstatus, \module, \uselanguage, \r@tain, \r@cycle,) )
Beginning to dump on file etex.fmt
 (format=etex 2006.5.24)
2658 strings of total length 38086
7953 memory locations dumped; current usage is 197&7289
1176 multiletter control sequences
\font\nullfont=nullfont
\font\tenrm=cmr10
\font\preloaded=cmr9
\font\preloaded=cmr8
\font\sevenrm=cmr7
\font\preloaded=cmr6
\font\fiverm=cmr5
\font\teni=cmmi10
\font\preloaded=cmmi9
\font\preloaded=cmmi8
\font\seveni=cmmi7
\font\preloaded=cmmi6
\font\fivei=cmmi5
\font\tensy=cmsy10
\font\preloaded=cmsy9
\font\preloaded=cmsy8
\font\sevensy=cmsy7
\font\preloaded=cmsy6
\font\fivesy=cmsy5
\font\tenex=cmex10
\font\preloaded=cmss10
\font\preloaded=cmssq8
\font\preloaded=cmssi10
\font\preloaded=cmssqi8
\font\tenbf=cmbx10
\font\preloaded=cmbx9
\font\preloaded=cmbx8
\font\sevenbf=cmbx7
\font\preloaded=cmbx6
\font\fivebf=cmbx5
\font\tentt=cmtt10
\font\preloaded=cmtt9
\font\preloaded=cmtt8
\font\preloaded=cmsltt10
\font\tensl=cmsl10
\font\preloaded=cmsl9
\font\preloaded=cmsl8
\font\tenit=cmti10
\font\preloaded=cmti9
\font\preloaded=cmti8
\font\preloaded=cmti7
\font\preloaded=cmu10
\font\preloaded=cmmib10
\font\preloaded=cmbsy10
\font\preloaded=cmcsc10
\font\preloaded=cmssbx10
\font\preloaded=cmdunh10
\font\preloaded=cmr7 at 14.51799pt
\font\preloaded=cmtt10 at 14.4pt
\font\preloaded=cmssbx10 at 14.4pt
\font\preloaded=manfnt
14787 words of font info for 50 preloaded fonts
14 hyphenation exceptions
Hyphenation trie of length 6075 has 181 ops out of 35111
  181 for language 0
No pages of output.
Transcript written on etex.log.
fmtutil: /home/ralf/.texmf/var/web2c/etex.fmt installed.
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: texinfo.tex appears to be broken, quitting.