RE: No postnews or other Usenet news utilities?

On 24 May 2006 18:38, Bruce Wehr wrote:

> First, a little background.  I am currently selling some rare Pokemon cards
> on eBay ... this is an item that has universal appeal.

  LIAR.  You cannot claim that every single usenet reader in the entire world
is interested in Pokemon.  You are just projecting your own personal selfish
interests on to the rest of the world, because you have a financial advantage
if you pretend that everyone is like you.

> So, I'd like to
> advertise my sale in all of the *.forsale Usenet newsgroups, including all
> the regional groups.  (Whether or not my ads would be considered spam is
> another issue and is debatable, since I'm not indiscriminately posting to
> all newsgroups, but to appropriately selected groups.)

  GARBAGE.  You are UNQUESTIONABLY a spammer and there is absolutely nothing
to debate.  How can you say "all of the forsale groups" and say that's not
indiscriminate?  It's not up to YOU to decide whether a given post is
"appropriate" or not in a given group: the group has existed for a long time
before you came around and has pre-existing standards, customs and rules that
define what is or is not "appropriate".  You clearly intend to ignore all
these uncomfortable facts because you believe you are king of the world and
that whatever you say automatically becomes true.

> currently using Xnews on Windows (God, please give me a job where I don't
> have to use Windows! :).  Wow - there must be *hundreds* of *.forsale
> groups!

  MOST OF WHICH ARE RELATED TO ONE LOCAL AREA OR SPECIFIC KIND OF GOODS.

  http://www.faqs.org/faqs/misc-forsale-faq/posting-ads/section-5.html

> Anyway, Xnews has an arbitrary limit on cross posting to 20 groups at a
> time.

  It's not arbitrary, it's an attempt to stop spammers like yourself from
exceeding the BI>20 definition of spam.  (If you don't know what that means,
then you don't know what the definition of spam is, so how the hell can you
claim to know whether you are spamming or not?)

>  Yesterday, I spent quite a bit of time going through all the
> *.forsale groups, selecting 20 at a time, excluding item specific ones (like
> computers or homes) and sending my ad.  It took quite a bit of time and was
> insanely repetitive.  Imagine my surprise when I used Google Groups today to
> search Usenet, only to find that my articles never made it out!  <ARRGH!>
>
> The only thing I can think of is that the NNTP server I used has a cross
> posting limit, too, of likely less than 20 groups.  If so, Xnews never let
> me know that it got any error responses from the server, and I didn't pay
> attention to the Xnews server status line as I was doing all this posting.

  Either that, or you have been cancelled by the usenet anti-spam bots for
your spamming.  Carry on and it will be your ISP disconnecting you next.

> So, I fire up my bash shell and look around at my Cygwin setup.  Huh - no
> postnews.  Huh - no newsreader.  Huh - I'll have to run Cygwin setup and get
> these things.  Huh?!  What?! No postnews?  nntpd?  No newsreaders but tin?!
> No other Usenet utilities?  What the f ... ?!

  This isn't actually true but the last thing on earth I want to do is offer
any assistance to a spammer.

> <BIG SIGH!>  So, all of this leads to my Cygwin question(s): Am I just being
> blind, or are there truly no Usenet utilities available for Cygwin?  If not,
> are there any plans to add them in the future?

  There are certainly no mail-bombing or spamming utilities for cygwin.

> Thanks for your time, and apologies for being so long winded.  Take care and
> God bless.

  Spamming is a sin; it is selfishness and arrogance to the point of
solipsism.  Stop it today.  READ the faq:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/misc-forsale-faq/posting-ads/

    cheers,
      DaveK