Re: dereferenced NULL in setup-2.529 (possible patch)

Brian Dessent wrote:
mwoehlke wrote:

I built setup (from the 2.529 tarball) and ran it in gdb, and got this
stack trace:

Thanks for the debugging. I must have missed the original report, as I don't see the parent post of this thread. Under what circumstances is this repeatable? It looks like the probable case is that get_url_to_string() is not able to fetch the URL of the mirrors list, and hence 'mirrors' is empty.

No, you probably didn't... the original report was buried in http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-05/msg00074.html which didn't seem to get much reading, under "hmm, that's funny, now it's working". That was on my W2k3 R2 computer. Originally, I gave up trying to debug it because it seemed to be a fluke.

It isn't an empty mirror list problem, though; on my XP computer, it consistently blows up shortly /after/selecting/ a mirror, so your guess is about one step too early :-).

Anyway, I found something interesting... I was using http://mirrors.kernel.org when it blew up. If I use http://mirrors.mcs.anl.gov, then it's OK.

As cgf alludes, the state of string handling in setup is currently quite
a mess.  There is kind of a mix std::string, a homemade String class,
and C strings.  We're trying to get rid of the homemade kind.

From looking at site.cc it seems that get_site_list() is in dire need of
refactoring.  I think it would make things a lot simpler to just have
load_site_list() take a string, and then process it using c_str(),
skipping the whole new_cstr_char_array() mess.  It makes no sense to go
and allocate something just to pass to load_site_list(), only to then
free it.  And eventually everything in String++.{cc,h} needs to die
anyway.

I will try to prepare a fix along these lines soon.

Ok, you know the code much better than I. :-) Meanwhile, it WFM with the patch in the previous message, so I'll just run that (or use a different mirror ;-)) until there is another snapshot or release.

p.s. What's the snapshot schedule for setup.exe... less often that cygwin1.dll, I take it?

--
Matthew
Interix, Sphinterix. Cygwin apps don't crash. :-)