Re: "Please don't discuss other, competing products here"

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 01:04:15AM -0700, clayne@anodized.com wrote:
>On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 06:50:38PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
>> 3.  Last but not least, the open-source software (OSS) movement used to
>>     have at its core the concept of "Freedom", including "Freedom of
>>     Speech".  OSS projects were simply assumed by the OSS community to
>>     allow freedom of speech (within reason); those that did not invited
>>     protest and/or rejection.
>
>I too, do not see the issue with discussing 'competing' products here.
>What's the issue?

The OP posted the description of this mailing list but he skipped the
first sentence: "a high volume list for discussion of just about all
things related to the Cygwin community release." Discussions of how SFU
deals with newlines or how U/WIN works with ActiveState perl do not have
anything to do with the community release.

As I've previously stated, I don't mind restrained comparisons on the
order of "U/WIN allows chmod to work on FAT32 partitions could Cygwin
use the same technique?"  Relation of experiences with U/WIN or other
products both postive and negative are off-topic here.

As Dave Korn indicated, I set up the cygwin-talk list for this kind of
thing.  The only downside to using that forum is that sometime you have
to share your computer with a flatulant hippo.  That seems like a small
price to pay.

cgf