RE: Obfuscation fails.

On 23 May 2006 14:44, Arend-Jan Westhoff wrote:

> In the last 8 hours I have received 4 spam e-mails on the forwarding
> address I use exclusively for this list.
> (Have never received any spam on it before.)
>
> This might suggest the level of obfuscation for e-mail addresses displayed
> on this list needs to be upgraded.

  There isn't any obfuscation if someone forgets to PCYMTNQREAIYR.

  Nor is there any generic way for the mailing list to know if your mailer
adds custom X- headers with your email address in plain:

http://www.cygwin.com/cgi-bin/get-raw-msg?listname=cygwin&date=2005-03&msgid=1
110016059.JPMCYAFVMHSL%40spammotel.com

(although you could argue that X-Sender is commonplace enough that it should
be added to the list of mungeable headers).

> My current Cygwin e-mail address will self destruct within 5 minutes from
> sending this e-mail.

  Well, I wasn't going to Cc you anyway :)

    cheers,
      DaveK