Re: Problems with setup colors in snapshot

Igor Peshansky wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2006, mwoehlke wrote:
A while back I posted about the colors in setup.exe. I noticed that the
text background color is fixed but that there is still a problem with
the tree structure; specifically, the clickable [+] and [-] icons are,
on my colors, effectively invisible. On some other color schemes I
tried, they *are* 100% invisible.

Yes, this is most likely reproducible (as the foreground color of those icons is *always* black.

>> 3: If I pick, e.g. (64,0,128) for my window background color, the
>> tree becomes the *exact* same color as the background.
>
> Hmm, weird -- for me the foreground color of the icons is *always*
> black.

Unfortunately, a: this isn't the case for me, and b: as you've so astutely pointed out, if it was that would still be problematic :-). (In reality, I've learned that *someone* is always going to exercise poor design and so I usually pick a background light enough for black to be at least marginally visible against it).

Anyway, I'm going to violate "policy" and attach a screenshot, as it seems prudent in this case. The screenshot is with my "normal" settings; if you open it in a graphics editor with a non-fuzzy bucket fill tool (e.g. M$Paint), you can flood the background and see that the tree is actually being painted, but in a /very/ subtly different color (in fact it is (66,74,80), which I *can* barely on my other monitor at much closer range - or if I magnify it). However this is "clearly not black" ;-).

Theoretically, it should be a simple matter of using MaskBlt instead of
BitBlt with the properly configured pen color and the properly set up
mask.  In practice, making this work on all platforms (including Win9x),
correctly, and with the minimum amount of code changes is a big pain.

I'm using Win2k3 R2 x64 and (see attached screenshot) I can assure you it doesn't work on my system. Maybe my OS is the problem? (Hmm... yup, the problem has to be Windows ;-).)

Also, I'd test on my XP system but it is consistently dereferencing a NULL :-(. (On W2k3 R2 it did that *once* and has since run just fine.)

If you're interested in looking at the code and providing a patch, grep
the setup sources for bitmap_dc (or BitBlt) and patch all those places.

If someone can take one of the bitmaps from the setup sources, and send me
a *complete* small program that draws that bitmap on a window drawing
context with the foreground and background colors coming from the Windows
color scheme, I'll see what I can do about incorporating that code into
setup.  As is, I'm too busy to wade through MSDNs incomplete documentation
on this.

I wish I could get to it, but I don't have the time right now :-(. I would appreciate if someone else can do it, otherwise if I haven't heard anything I may try to tackle this myself when I *do* have time.

Also, thanks again to whoever fixed the text color!

The ChangeLogs should show the name of the culprit.

Yeah, I'm too lazy to go download it right now and send a private e-mail, etc... I was hoping they watch the list ;-).

--
Matthew
All of my signatures are 100% original. Including this one.

PNG image