Re: Reading Term::ReadKey support for ActiveState Perl and Cygwin

David Christensen wrote:
Paul Dorman wrote:
I've been racking my brains trying to read keystrokes in a Cygwin
shell with ActiveState Perl.

I recently evaluated Microsoft Services for Unix (SFU), which aims to provide a Unix subsystem and GNU tool chain running on top of the Windows kernel:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/unix/sfu/default.mspx

Here is a commercial company that is closely aligned with SFU (I don't quite
understand the relationship):

http://www.interix.com/

As I understand, the folks at interix.com developed Interix 2.0, originally known as OpenNT, until it was taken over by M$ around I believe version 3.0. From Rodney's comments, it seems they are still involved in the ongoing development and maintenance.

I'm reasonably certain SFU uses ActiveState Perl.  I don't know if it's the
standard ActiveState Perl we can download and install for Win32, or a
special SFU build.

I just re-ran the installer for SFU. Right at the bottom is the option to install "ActiveState PERL".

Unfortunately, I ran into some deal-breaker issues with SFU:

1.  SFU sets a number of environment variables (including PATH), which
    broke Cygwin Perl's ability to make modules.

2.  SFU uses Unix line endings by default.  I need tools that work with
    DOS line endings.  The SFU developers think that line endings
    should be dealt with on a per-application basis, not by the
    tool chain.  Some tools do accept both Unix and DOS line endings.
    The SFU developers were responsive to my request to get SFU Bash
    working with DOS line endings, but it isn't ready yet:

http://www.interix.com/tools/tm.aspx?m=9028

Oh, so that's *YOU* I've been talking to on the interix.com forums. :-)

Welcome to the club. I went first down the Interix path and ran into a mountain ("brick wall" doesn't begin to express the severity of my problems). So now I'm back to Cygwin, which /works/.

(Any replies to this part, please TITTTL)

--
Matthew
All of my signatures are 100% original. Including this one.