GDB and Cygwin SIGSEGV revisited

I've seen a lot of discussion on issues with SIGSEGV and pthread mutexes
with GDB under cygwin.  I was very hopeful when I saw a reply by Brian
Dessent that said this was fixed if I downloaded the latest gdb and a cygwin
snapshot.  Maybe there's something else I haven't downloaded but here's what
I did, and I still have the problem.

- ran cygwin's setup and updated my installation
- downloaded the latest cygwin snapshot cygwin1-20060521.dll.bz2
- unzipped the cygwin snapshot, renamed it cygwin1.dll and placed in in
/usr/bin
- downloaded the latest gdb (6.4), built it and installed it.
- tried to debug my program.

What I get is:

GNU gdb 6.4
0x610b0fc5 in pthread_mutexattr_init () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
(gdb)

Curiously, if I issue the following to GDB as others have suggested:

handle SIGSEGV nostop
handle SIGTRAP nostop

I will get continuous and unrelenting messages:

Is there a later or different snapshot of cygwin we should use, or a
different GDB?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rich