Re: Two problems with latest Cygwin version

Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> Sent: Saturday, May 20, 2006 1:08 PM
> Subject: Two problems with latest Cygwin version
>
> > Running XP Home on a pretty standard system.
> > Downloaded and installed the latest Cygwin ("complete" installation)
> > about 3 days ago.

FYI, bad bug report.  The words "complete" and "latest" aren't absolute --
they are relative to the mirror you used, as well as whether the
installation succeeded.  For the future, please read and follow

> > Two problems I'd like to report that I couldn't find in the FAQ/etc.:
> >
> > 1. Before installation, my desktop contained a computer icon, a
> > network icon and the trash can.  After installation completed, only
> > the trash can remained on my desktop.
> >
> > 2. Before installation, my DOS cmd.exe understood the 'more' command.
> > After installation, my DOS cmd.exe no longer understands the 'more'
> > command.
> >
> > I note that earlier installations of Cygwin had problems with 'more'
> > (don't recall details).
> > With this latest release, 'more' works normally.
> > It's thus as if Cygwin "hijacked" more.
> > I detect no binary change to my windows/system32/cmd.exe.
> >
> > Does anyone have a fix for at least the second issue? It's highly
> > unfriendly.
> > I fixed the first issue myself of course, but felt you should be aware
> > of it.
>
> Please disregard the 2nd problem. Somehow my Windows PATH env var got
> corrupted.

Both problems likely had the same cause -- something corrupted the
registry settings on your machine.  Cygwin's installation was probably
coincidental, as the official Cygwin installer doesn't manipulate anything
but the very confined section of the registry.  I would suspect a buggy
antivirus or firewall program.
HTH,
	Igor
--