RE: telnet: tcp/telnet: unknown service (XP)

On 18 May 2006 12:59, Jose Luis Fernandez wrote:

>  --- Dave Korn <dave.korn@artimi> escribió:

>> any.  Ok, let's see......
>>
>> Output from C:\cygwin\bin\id.exe (nontsec)
>> UID: 12554(jlfdiaz)     GID: 10545(mkgroup-l-d)
>> 0(root)                 544(Administradores)
>> 545(Usuarios)
>> 10545(mkgroup-l-d)
>>
>> Output from C:\cygwin\bin\id.exe (ntsec)
>> UID: 12554(jlfdiaz)     GID: 10545(mkgroup-l-d)
>> 0(root)                 544(Administradores)
>> 545(Usuarios)
>> 10545(mkgroup-l-d)
>>

>>   Hey!  Sort your passwd and group files out!

> I don't understand you. What is wrong in my group and
> passwd files ?

  You aren't really a member of a group called "mkgroup-l-d"!  This name is a
hint to you from cygwin that there is no entry in the groups file for (at
least one of) the groups you are a member of and you need to run mkgroup to
update it.  For more information about mkgroup and mkpasswd, see

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkpasswd

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkgroup

  You appear to be in a domain, so you probably want to use both "-l" and "-d"
options for both of them.  I can't say for certain whether it will help or
not, but having your passwd/groups files incomplete can cause problems with
permissions which might be responsible for blocking your access to certain
files.  Out of curiousity, what output do you see from the commands

ls -la /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc/
ls -la /etc/{hosts,protocols,services,networks}
wc -l /etc/{hosts,protocols,services,networks}

    cheers,
      DaveK