Re: rvxt-20050409-1 console problem

>> So i always was annoyed by the fact, that starting rxvt directly from
>> windows opens a console windows.
>
> Use 'run'.  Or, modulo the bug Igor is reporting, the latest refresh of
> rxvt.

Now i know, what you mean with run! Now i'm satisfied, but ...

>> Isn't it possible, to create such an EXE-file, that doesn't open a
>> console? Would that cause any problems with cygwin?
>>
>> That would make any "hide the console"-code unnecessary.
>
> This is not an option in the slightest.  A -mwindows application cannot
> interact with the console it was invoked from!  That means that all such
> compiled applications would have no I/O when invoked from the command
> line unless redirected to a file.  Try compiling "int main() {
> puts("hello world"); }" with -mwindows and running it from a windows
> console -- you get nothing.  -mwindows applications are expected to
> either have no console I/O or to explicitly create a new console
> themselves.  What isn't possible is to attach to the existing console
> that it was run from.

... i have to prove you wrong!

javaw.exe (from sun's java-jre) is a window-mode application, right?

So how can you explain, that i see text within cygwin, when i run javaw.exe?

$ javaw
Usage: javaw [-options] class [args...]
           (to execute a class)
   or  javaw [-options] -jar jarfile [args...]
           (to execute a jar file)

where options include:
    -client       to select the "client" VM
    -server       to select the "server" VM
    -hotspot      is a synonym for the "client" VM  [deprecated]
                  The default VM is client.

See?

It seems to be the standard-behaviour of the windows shell (cmd.exe) to
detach the application from the console if it's starting a window-mode
application. But cygwin doesn't detach the application.

So of course, you're right if you say:
if rxvt would be a window-mode application, then you wouldn't see
anything if you execute "rxvt.exe --help" from the windows-shell - but i
ask myself, if this is necessary.