RE: Call for testing Cygwin snapshot

On 10 May 2006 07:33, Lloeki wrote:

>> there's even a reg key to tweak that flush delay
>> but it seems I can't put the finger on it anymore.
>
> Of course I just find it minutes after posting...
>
> it's in
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer add a
> DWORD of name AlwaysUnloadDll and give it a 1. Though it's
> advertised everywhere as managing all dlls, I dunno the exact effect,
> and the place of the reg key makes me thinks it only affects explorer,
> but you'll never know.

  Actually, we will:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_programming/debugging.asp

  It controls whether or not Windows explorer retains the DLLs that implement COM objects that implement shell folders and extensions in memory after the COM object is released (and in particular, at CoFreeUnusedLibraries time after the COM object is released).

  It does not influence the Cygwin dll.  The cygwin dll will be unloaded and replaceable as soon as all cygwin processes are terminated.  The main thing is to watch out for the occasional problem caused by cygwin services that you installed experimentally using one of the *-config scripts long long ago and forgot all about....

    cheers,
      DaveK