Re: Cygwin 1.5.19-4 issues

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU> - reformatted

Virgil Adumitroaie wrote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin <dot> com>
To: cygwin <at> cygwin <dot> com

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR> - thanks.

Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 23:07:04 -0400
Subject: Re: Cygwin 1.5.19-4 issues
Virgil Adumitroaie wrote:
Hi,

This is my second call to the cygwin developers. There is a problem
with cygwin 1.5.19-4 (on windows xp sp2).

Why is a second call required?  The first was plenty good enough.  And
actually, revisiting the issue so quickly can actually work against your
intentions.

The qt designer (/usr/lib/qt3/bin/designer) crashes and its compilation
from source fails.

Sorry, I can't reproduce the crash of which you speak.  I didn't attempt
to compile the source.

You might not care about matplotlib, but the "gcc:
fork: Resource temporarily unavailable" which I get during compilation,
indicates some other trouble.

I believe you have gotten a pointer on this issue already so I won't comment
further.

Please let me know if you think otherwise, or if you don't get the same
behavior.
What changes made between 1.5.19-4 and 1.5.18-1 could produce these
problems?

Ah, now there's the $1,000,000 question. Obviously, if there was a known
cause of this, there would already be a patch. So your efforts in tracking
this down would be beneficial. You may want to start with a recent snapshot
to see if it would help or hurt. Any recent snapshot is going to give you
good insight into the capabilities of 1.5.20, which is pending release.

Perhaps it would be best to read and follow the problem reporting guidelines
outlined here:

Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html

This could unearth some important information that might help as well.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746

My apologies for the second call, it seemed my request was ignored and it was not clear why.

I just want to add that I am surprised you have not
been able to reproduce the problem with qt designer.
I have tried cygwin update and clean install on three different
computers runnning xp sp2 (one being a virtual pc - vmware)
and all three installations displayed this problem. Downgrading
to 1.5.18-1 removed the problem on all three.

FWIW, I'm running XP SP1, though I doubt that's terribly significant.

Anyway, I will heed your suggestions, and thank you for your time.

Good luck and your welcome.

Holliston, MA 01746