RE: make v3.80: *** [hello] Error 255

Please send all replies to the cygwin mailing list.  This will increase
your chances of getting a reply and the correct diagnosis of your
problem.

From your text below, it looks as though your Cygwin environment
has several problems.

1. The PATH environment variable does not appear to have any
   reference to cygwin directories (c:\cygwin\bin, for example).
   It's surprising to me that you're able to get much to run.

2. cygcheck was not able to find 'id' (typically, this is
   C:\cygwin\bin\id.exe).  This could be because you don't
   have the 'coreutils package installed, or because PATH
   does not reference any cygwin directories.

3. You might consider un-installing cygwin and carefully
   re-installing it.  If you take this approach, then try
   installing cygwin in (at least) two stages.  The first
   stage simply accepts the default packages that 'setup.exe'
   selects.  Install these packages to completion and then
   start 'setup.exe' again.  During the second stage, select
   the minimal set of additional packages that you want
   (for example, 'vim' or 'emacs', 'gcc', etc.).  Then only
   add packages as you find that programs you need were not
   installed by default.