Re: cygwin1.dll with UTF8 support

On Wed, 3 May 2006, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> I just wanted to let you guys know that there is a "patched", UTF8-aware
> cygwin1.dll.
>
> It can be downloaded from this page:
>
> http://www.okisoft.co.jp/esc/utf8-cygwin/download.html
>
> The page is in Japanese (anyone can translate?),

Google can:
<http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.okisoft.co.jp/esc/utf8-cygwin/download.html>.

Also,
<http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&u=http://www.okisoft.co.jp/esc/cygwin-20.html>
describes the architecture of the changes.

> you will find the links at the top of this page (some sources and a
> binary dll).
>
> I didn't test it much, but it works after a couple of simple tests - I
> needed UTF8 support in rsync.
>
> With a "standard" cygwin1.dll you will not be able to copy filenames
> with UTF8 characters from Windows machine to Linux machine with rsync
> (you will get ??? characters instead).

I've looked at the sources (which are branched off 1.5.19-4).  Basically,
there's a 930-line patch, most of which is new.  FWICS, it may not cover
all places where Unicode conversion may be needed (in particular, sending
Unicode through a textmode pipe will very likely fail spectacularly).  It
also looks like some places are kludged specifically for the Japanese
section of Unicode.  But it's an interesting first approximation.

There are also patches for cygstart.

I wonder why the author chose to do a branch, rather than submit the patch
back to Cygwin?  It's also unclear what current functionality it breaks.
I guess at some point the author would need to be Cc'd on this thread...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"