RE: cygwin + windows update = lock up (W2K SP4)

On 02 May 2006 21:28, Brian Dessent wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>
>> ...because for some reason, despite attaching the debugger, and despite
>> having frozen every other thread and only left one running, every time I
>> try to single step it, it just carries on running as if I'd told it to
>> continue. Dunno why except perhaps the debugger isn't keen to try and let
>> you single-step through debugger-related functions in case it breaks
>> itself or something.  This may call for a full two-machine kernel remote
>> debugging session in the end :-(
>
> It's a real shame that Russinovich is apparently aware of this defect
> but remains uninterested in dealing with it past calling it a Cygwin
> deficiency.

  It's not his defect, let's get that straight; there's absolutely nothing
wrong with calling "RtlQueryProcessDebugInformation (pid, PDI_BACKTRACE,
buffer);" on any arbitrary pid.

  I really do think it *is* because we do funny (meaning non-standard and even
perhaps slightly risky) stuff in DllMain/DLL_THREAD_ATTACH.  munge_threadfunc
is pretty high on my list of suspects right now.

    cheers,
      DaveK