Re: Error on /bin/sh -login: "cannot remove /bin/sh.exe: Permission denied"

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Eric Blake wrote:

> According to Webb Roberts on 4/27/2006 2:00 PM:
> >> I will also try to clean up the profile script to short-circuit when
> >> you are running /bin/sh instead of /bin/bash
> >
> > One thing you might do is to have the /etc/profile.d sh-update-script
> > delete itself once it's run satisfactorily.
>
> Nope.  If I did that, cygcheck -c would report bash as incomplete.

Now that the new version of setup doesn't rename the script to .done
unless it succeeds, you can just have the profile script run the
postinstall script and then rename it to .done...

> [snip]
> It does point out a wishlist item of mine - cygcheck -svr output would
> be nicer if it also included --version output (or at least the first
> line thereof) for each common tool it searched for, rather than just the
> path where the common tool was found.

Umm, this would only work if the tools it finds are the Cygwin versions.
Many other tools (e.g., Windows' "find") don't understand the --version
argument.

> > I guess what got me on this was that there was a zombie /bin/sh
> > process running during the cygwin update.  It might have been a little
> > less nerve-wracking if there had been a visible message during the
> > postinstall, instead of picking it up during the login.
>
> Well, the CVS sources for setup.exe DO have some better handling of
> failed postinstalls, but no one has officially released a new version
> yet (although you can find alpha builds if you look at
> http://cygwin.com/setup/.

It's about time to release one, then, isn't it?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"