Re: Why only 1 cygwin1.dll?

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 04:09:39AM +0700, Alexander J. Herrmann wrote:

I was following this thread and time will tell. Something you're maybe not aware of that the cygwin1.dll soon will be distributed to thousends of people who didn't even heard about cygwin. How come?
You may have heard about BOINC if not take a short look @ http://boinc.berkeley.edu/
It is used to run Linuxcode inside Windoze. For exaple the burp project will use it to run povray on windoze. http://burp.boinc.dk (Don't waste your time visiting the page it is offline today because a server update). I can imagine a lot of problems resulting from this for people using cygwin but donate there idle cpu time to number crunching when there two different versions. Let's wait and C ...

Any problems from this installation should be pretty easily solved by
just blocking all email with the word "boinc" in it.

I don't think the boinc crowd will post. As I said they don't know that it is used. But I wounder .. aren't they supposed to put all there additional reendering progs which depend on cygwin1.dll into open source? http://cygwin.com/licensing.html

I'm willing to even make the filter more sophisticated than that, if
necessary.

Look out for the messages with "maybe you're using the wrong version of cygwin1.dll". But people who do cygwin should know.

--
And God said"Let there be light."But then the program crashed because he was trying to access the 'light' property of a NULL universe pointer.

Alexander J. Herrmann
Analyst/Programmer
http://www.aiengine.org
Email: Ping2Weltall@Gmail.com