Why only 1 cygwin1.dll?

Hi,

Why can there be only 1 cygwin1.dll in the filesystem? Is this a
limitation of the dll or is it just a problem with applications
finding the wrong version of the cygwin1.dll when there are several?
Or is it just that certain cygwin registry keys get initialised wrong
if its not installed correctly?

Does the cygwin1.dll have to be in /usr/bin or would it work in system32?

I'm sure this must've been asked before but I couldn't find it in my
search of the archives and users guide?

Thanks

Jeremy