Re: Invoking Miktex in Cygwin

Maybe it's because of the space in the name "Program Files". I had this problem when I set up my JAVA_HOME, which is also subdirectory of "Program Files". I renamed the directory, instead of "Program files", to "Progra~1", i.e. /cygdrive/c/Progra~1/..., which worked fine. Somebody said .../Program\ Files/... also works, but it was not in my case. Good luck.

/Jing

From: Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Invoking Miktex in Cygwin
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 08:22:44 -0800

    Tong> Hi you guys, I have Miktex installed( in C:\Program Files),
    Tong>          and am trying to invoke Latex.exe from Shell and
    Tong>          got some trouble.  Heres what I did : 1.  make a
    Tong>          soft link by: ln -s 'C:\Program
    Tong>          Files\texmf\miktex\bin\latex.exe' /usr/local/bin 2.
    Tong>          run latex: latex myfile.tex

    Tong> Then I got the following error message: This is pdfeTeX,
    Tong>      Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4) kpathsea:
    Tong>      Running mktexfmt latex.fmt /usr/bin/mktexfmt: line 333:
    Tong>      /texconfig/tcfmgr: No such file or directory fmtutil:
    Tong>      config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.  I can't find the
    Tong>      format file `latex.fmt'!

    Tong> but I do have C:\Program
    Tong> Files\localtexmf\miktex\fmt\latex.efmt And I am sure that
    Tong> the Miktex works fine for other editor like WinEdt.

I've never used mixtex, so I'm just making this up.  But: it's
possible that mixtex has accidentally invoked the Cygwin version of
pdfeTeX, instead of its own.  Try putting miktex's directory on the
front of your PATH, like this:

$ PATH=/cygdrive/c/Program Files/texmf/miktex/bin:$PATH latex myfile.tex

--
Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but the thing dies in the
process and the innards are discouraging to any but the pure