RE: Find tool contained in unknown pkg

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006, Dave Korn wrote:

> On 17 March 2006 20:28, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
> > I've just installed a very minimal cygwin.  I noticed the `id' tool is
> > not present and looking on the packages page I don't see it listed
> > separately so I'm guessing it is contained in a package whos name may
> > not reflect its presence.
> >
> > Anyone know which package that might be?
>
> http://cygwin.com/packages
>
>   Since 'id' on its own might give you too many matches, it's worth
> mentioning the handy trick that (this being 'doze not linux really) the
> full name of the program is of course 'id.exe'.
>
> http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=id.exe
>
>   That narrows it down sufficiently...

Ah, but this will not match scripts or symlinks.  Since most executables
live in something that ends in "bin", and the package search page supports
full perl regular expressions, you can do

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=bin%2Fid%5Cb

(which corresponds to a search string "bin/id\b", i.e., a program named
"id" with no more letters after that, in a directory that ends in "bin").
In case of "id" the results are identical, but if you try your approach
with, for example, "vi", you'll find that it doesn't work.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/