Cygwin and locale

Hello all,

I recently switched to my favourite shell the tcsh. I encountered the problem that it didn't display non ascii characters correctly. After diving a little bit deeper into it I figured that Cygwin supports only the minimal "C" locale and not any other locales like for the german language.

Why is the locale support not in Cygwin? Are there big obstacles to porting it to cygwin?

Currently this means that some programs like "tcsh" and "less" are not working all the way correctly. Other programs which use gettext like bash are working correctly.

Regards, Ulrich

--
Ulrich Herrmann