Re: Printing man pages

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 02:08:03PM +0000, Tony Richardson wrote:
> George <d1945 <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Brilliant idea.  I think I'll steal it, and hope others do the same.

> > Generating a PDF from the grep man page, for example, using:
> >
> >    man -t `man -w grep` | ps2pdf - grep.pdf
> >
> > which, by default, is actually
> >
> >    /usr/bin/groff -Tps -mandoc `man -w grep` | ps2pdf - grep.pdf
> >
> > results in a fairly unattractive PDF file.  The man page title is
> > dropped from the output, and the top margin is borked.
>
> Sounds like it might be an incorrect media size setting.
> The default groff PostScript media size is A4.  Changing the
> papersize setting in /usr/share/groff/1.18.1/font/devps/DESC
> to "letter" may help.

Bingo!

It's funny that the thought occurred to me, too.  I came across another
A4 setting somewhere recently and remember being extremely annoyed at
seeing a non-US-centric setting.  The lack of chauvanism was refreshing,
but not so much as to make me feel less annoyed.

Thanks very much for the help.

--
George