disk space allocation (du, ls et al?)

I noticed a minor problem on my machine.  I have
a partition that is using an 8K allocation unit.
However, the commands like:

   du -s <file>
-or-
   ls -s <file>

don't show the file's actual allocation size on disk but
seem to use a fixed 1k for size.

I also duplicated the problem on a network share where
the 'block size' on the network share shows up as 4K
using a native WinGUI Util (TreeSize), but the cyg-based
utils still show the 1k size.

Is this something that should work under cygwin?  Just
not implemented yet?

Thanks,
Linda