Re: problen with run command and the environment

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Jeff Hardy wrote:

> I have updated my windowsxp with the latest cygwin and
> this breaks several scripts I have that use the run
> command to start xterms without consoles. I have tried
> to track the problem down and at least one problem is
> that if I type "run env > /tmp/xxx" and look at
> /tmp/xxx, most of my environment variables are
> missing. Also, my HOME environment variable is now "/"
> instead of what my home directory is. I have another
> computer that I have not updated yet and when I do the
> same exercise as above, all the environment variables
> come across the run command.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions?

"run" will invoke your application in the Windows environment, not the
Cygwin one.  If you want to reproduce the environment you have in the bash
window, use "run" to start a login bash shell, and have it exec the
command you want to run (e.g., I use 'run c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login
-c "exec /bin/xterm"').

> Here is the output of cygcheck:
> [snip]

In the future, please *attach* the output of cygcheck instead of including
it inline, as indicated in <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, since it
really screws up the archive searches.
HTH,
	Igor