Re: potential fix for cygwin's "no system bell" problem

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 06:24:44PM -0600, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>[snip]
>> >CMD.EXE still issues an actual beep (PC-beeper-beep) when I type
>> >
>> >  echo ^G   (literal control g)
>> >
>> >(This is using CMD's built-in echo).
>> >
>> >bash and tcsh now emit a "ding" instead, for the same command (using
>> >shell builtins).
>> >
>> >(I guess I'm wondering if this is to be the expected
>> behavior from now
>> >on; is there any way now to get bash and tcsh to emit a real beep?)
>>
>> This is the way it was has been intended to work for almost two years:
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2003-q1/threads.html#00203
>
>I must have missed something - did "MessageBeep(-1)" never get put in?  Or
>did it stop working?  MSDN still documents it as working even without a
>sound card.

It got put in but it didn't work for everyone.  And, for some people,
like me, it worked for a while and then stopped.  Maybe you were one of
this group, in fact:

One possible reason for my problem is that Norton "uninstalls" the
registry key and presumably other packages do this as well.  I did have
some Norton demo stuff on my system for a while so it's possible that is
what affected me.  Either that or maybe it just somehow stopped working
after I transferred stuff to the "new" hyperthreading machine.

Anyway, back in 2003 and 2004, people were reporting problems.  I wasn't
having any problems, thought this was just a fluke, and completely
forgot about it.  Yesterday, someone on irc was complaining about the
system beep and I noticed that my bell had stopped working.  So, I did
more research and saw many people having the same problem.  Once I saw
this, I thought this probably deserved a more robust fix than pointing
people at old cygwin articles.  Someone at the windows-annoyances web
page even pointed people at Lev's cygwin message for a potential fix for
the problem.  That is what jogged my memory, in fact.

Btw, I misrepresented Corinna's situation yesterday.  She did not have
this particular problem.  It's entirely possible that there are
different causes for the phenomenon of no default system beep.  If so,
this only fixes one of them.

cgf