Re: base-files-mketc.sh hangs

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > > Attached is the file. The cygwin is provided by a product I'm using.
> > > I installed extra packages like gcc and upgraded the cygwin1.dll
> > > (otherwise the new installed gcc won't work)
> >
> > First things first: this list does not support third party products
> > (<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#3PP>) that integrate Cygwin in possibly
> > weird ways.  You should try asking *them* (Altera?) for support on
> > your problem (especially if you've paid for the product), unless you
> > can also reproduce it on a clean (official) Cygwin installation.
>
> I'm just doing some hacking on the product. I don't think Altera is
> happy to know that I add extra packages in their cygwin ;-)

If it is indeed Altera's problem, they should at least know that their
Cygwin installation is broken.

Also, if they distribute unmodified Cygwin packages, you could try moving
their Cygwin completely out of the way, while leaving the rest of the
product intact, and see if they work with a stock install of Cygwin...

> [snip]
> > > But I do remember I saw one file with one sentence like child
> > > process died. I can't remember it exactly. Unfortunately I deleted
> > > it.
> >
> > See if you can reproduce this message on some install.  If you can, it
> > would be interesting to see where it came from.  The content of the
> > setup.log.postinstallXXXXX files is copied verbatim into
> > setup.log.full, so it should have shown up for that installation (even
> > if it was cancelled later).
>
> See the attachment. These are obtained after I appended done to the
> base-files-mketc.sh file and it hung on two other files
> xorg-x11-fenc.sh and xorg-x11-fnts.sh. But I recall that the error
> message is the same as base-files-mketc.sh.
>
> As you mentioned before, it's probably bash problem.

According to your cygcheck output, your bash is fine.  It looks like a
rebase problem, actually.  Install the latest "rebase" package, read
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/rebase-2.4.2.README, and follow the instructions
there.

> > As I said above, it would be especially interesting if you can
> > reproduce this problem on a clean Cygwin install on the same machine
> > (you can temporarily rename the Altera Cygwin root folder, as well as
> > the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions" registry key, do
> > the clean install, and then remove the resulting folder and the
> > registry key and rename the original back).
> > HTH,
>
> I have 3 entries in windows registry, which may be the cause of the
> problem.

Huh?  There are considerably more than 3 entries listed below, but all of
them are under the same key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions).

> Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions
> Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
> Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
> Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/
> Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/bin
> Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/lib
> Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2 C__altera_quartus50_bin_cygwin_bin_cygwin1_dll
> Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2 C__altera_quartus50_bin_cygwin_bin_cygwin1_dll\/
> Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2 C__altera_quartus50_bin_cygwin_bin_cygwin1_dll\/usr/bin
> Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2 C__altera_quartus50_bin_cygwin_bin_cygwin1_dll\/usr/lib
> Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2 C__altera_quartus51_bin_cygwin_bin_cygwin1_dll
> Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2 C__altera_quartus51_bin_cygwin_bin_cygwin1_dll\/
> Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2 C__altera_quartus51_bin_cygwin_bin_cygwin1_dll\/usr/bin
> Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2 C__altera_quartus51_bin_cygwin_bin_cygwin1_dll\/usr/lib
> Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options

Or are you talking about the weird mounts subkeys?  At a guess, before you
used the Cygwin installer, Altera's Cygwin used the modified mounts
instead of the regular ones...  They sound more and more like a true
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#3PP>.

> Anyway, so far it's OK. I've not seen any bad effect of the problem.

It's likely you will the first time you use a package that actually does
something in its postinstall script (or, in the case of base-files,
anything that accesses the network).

In any case, unless you can show that your problems also show up on an
official Cygwin installation, you're on your own.  I'm guessing that very
soon any discussion of Altera is going to be declared off-topic for this
list...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/