Re: basename(1) defect

> > This is a bug with basename 5.3.0 found in the latest Cygwin 1.5.15.1.

Not a bug.

> 1.5.15 was three releases ago, it's most certainly not the latest.  But
> that's not really relevant to your question, I don't think.
>
> > $ basename NA A
> > $ basename N/A A
> > A                           <====== should return 'N/'

POSIX requires that basename return everything beyond
the final slash onwards, minus a partial suffix. The output
you got is REQUIRED by basename (beyond the final suffix
is "A", and "A" is a complete match rather than a partial
suffix of "A", so the result must be "A"), and any other
behavior from an older version of basename would be the
bug, not the current behavior of either basename-5.3.0
or basename-5.93.

> > Even with quoting:
> >
> > $ basename 'NA' A
> > $ basename 'N/A' A
> > A                           <====== should return 'N/'

Quoting makes no difference - the shell strips quotes
before passing the arguments to /bin/basename.

> If you just want to remove a trailing string I suggest you just use
> bash's built in parameter expansion:
>
> $ FCF="N/A"; Z=${FCF:(-1)}; echo ${FCF%$Z}

This could also be done by /bin/expr (if you like coreutils),
or even with awk, sed, or perl.  But Brian is correct,
shell parameter expansion is the most efficient way to
do string parsing, as it does not spawn any external
processes.

--
Eric Blake
volunteer cygwin bash/coreutils maintainer