Re: AllVersions: Running Cygwin X w/ Registy Entries

* Dave Korn (2005-10-26 17:48 +0100)
> Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>> * Christopher Faylor (2005-10-26 15:37 +0100)
>
>>> Or, I dunno, if that works, you could just use "mount" and forget about
>>> regedit entirely.
>>>
>>> It's a crazy idea, I know.  I wonder why no one has thought of it before.
>>
>> *I* didn't know about it (because I was under the impression that all
>> cygwin programs depend on the mount tables).
>>
>> Well, obviously there are a few that don't (mount, [...SNIP!...]
>
>   Let me see if I can parse those last two sentences:
>
>   You didn't know about using "mount" to manipulate the mount tables because

I did not know that I could successfully /use/ the mount program (for
creating mount tables when no mount tables are available and
"hklm/hkcu/cygnus solutions" doesn't exist.

(When you try to run a cygwin app in that situation it normally
complains it cannot find cygwin1.dll and doesn't know where "/" is
Is that so hard to grasp?!)

> you thought that all cygwin programs depend on the mount tables .... except
> for "mount", which you already knew didn't depend on the mount tables?

I DID NOT KNOW THAT when I created my solution for running Cygwin from
a USB drive a year ago. I do not have a computer on my own since
February (and don't miss it) and I depend on running Cygwin from USB.

>   This conversation has now descended into self-contradictory gibberish, and
> as such I find myself forced to run around the room in circles, flapping my
> arms like a chicken and making clucking noises.
>
>   <Bock-bock-b'gaaaawk!  Buk-buk-buk> TITTTL!  TITTTL!  TITTTL!
>
>> And I think it's easier to just import a reg file than dealing with
>> multiple mount commands...
>
>   Wow.  You're going to just _love_ scripting, when you hear about it!

Again: regedit has a "scripting/non-interactive mode". And I am /Mr.
Scripting/ - in all humble modesty.