RE: 1.5.18-1: cygwin.bat/bash fails after installing Cygwin

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Jason Fritz (CO/EWU) wrote:

> > On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >
> > Yes, but that doesn't guarantee that you would *run* that version.
> > Again, the Cygwin version of bash will *not* look for
> > /usr/local/etc/profile.global -- that message comes from some other
> > bash. The analysis is correct, AFAICS.
> >
> > One thing to try is to change the last line of your cygwin.bat to
> >
> > c:\cygwin\bin\bash --login -i
> >
> > and see if that solves your problem (with the original config)...
>
> I did as you suggested and the problem still happens.  I backed out my
> environment variables changes (to HOME and PATH), and ran cygwin.bat
> as-is and reverified that the problem happened again.  Then I edited
> cygwin.bat as you suggested and reran the script with the same result.
> Here's the shell output for reference:
> -----
> C:\cygwin>type cygwin.bat
> @echo off
>
> C:
> chdir C:\cygwin\bin
>
> C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login -i
>
> C:\cygwin>cygwin.bat

> /usr/bin/bash: can't find configuration file /usr/local/etc/profile.global; exiting.
> -----

Hmm, very weird.  According to a couple of Google searches, the above
looks like a message from UWin startup files -- Cygwin does *not* have a
profile.global, and the Cygwin bash won't look for anything in
/usr/local/etc by default.  Do you, perhaps, have a c:\.bashrc or
c:\.bash_profile or c:\.profile left over from a prior installation of
UWin?

> As a side note, I've never installed bash in another form on my PC and
> running "bash" from C:\ in a DOS prompt does not work.
>
> > > After contacting Chloe directly,
> >
> > Ugh.  She was way too polite.  Unsolicited private emails to
> > random list
> > posters are highly discouraged -- the Cygwin mailing list is
> > the place to
> > ask for help.
>
> Well, with all due respect, I can see that contacting Cygwin maintainers
> and developers is a Bad Thing (tm), but contacting ordinary users is no
> mortal sin.  I was polite to her and she was polite in return.  I
> followed up by posting to the mailing list so the info would not be
> lost.

Fair enough.  But sending email directly to the list lets you skip a step
in the above process...

> > I suspect you're still not running the official Cygwin bash -- it
> > should set HOME automatically.  As I said above, try forcing the
> > Cygwin bash by specifying the path to it explicitly.
>
> I don't know much about the implementation of Cygwin bash, but perhaps
> it has a bug and it's not setting HOME like it should?

Just for reference, the way it *should* set $HOME is described in your
/etc/passwd (if you don't have the latest, copy it from
/etc/defaults/etc/passwd).

> I think from the info I posted above that it's clearly not working as
> intended.

Hmm, it would be interesting to see what "echo $HOME" says in a bash
session that you start using "c:\cygwin\bin\bash --norc"...

> Thank you for your help so far, Igor.

You're welcome -- it's a curious problem, and I'd like to get to the
bottom of this.  Also, I don't think you've ever posted the output of
"cygcheck -svr" on your system (in its non-working configuration), as
requested in <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.  Please make sure you
*attach* the output as an uncompressed text attachment, rather than
include it inline.
HTH,
	Igor
--