RE: 1.5.18-1: cygwin.bat/bash fails after installing Cygwin

> On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> Yes, but that doesn't guarantee that you would *run* that
> version.  Again,
> the Cygwin version of bash will *not* look for
> /usr/local/etc/profile.global -- that message comes from some
> other bash.
> The analysis is correct, AFAICS.
>
> One thing to try is to change the last line of your cygwin.bat to
>
> c:\cygwin\bin\bash --login -i
>
> and see if that solves your problem (with the original config)...

I did as you suggested and the problem still happens.  I backed out my environment variables changes (to HOME and PATH), and ran cygwin.bat as-is and reverified that the problem happened again.  Then I edited cygwin.bat as you suggested and reran the script with the same result.  Here's the shell output for reference:
-----
C:\cygwin>type cygwin.bat
@echo off

C:
chdir C:\cygwin\bin

C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login -i

C:\cygwin>cygwin.bat
/usr/bin/bash: can't find configuration file /usr/local/etc/profile.global; exiting.
-----

As a side note, I've never installed bash in another form on my PC and running "bash" from C:\ in a DOS prompt does not work.

> > After contacting Chloe directly,
>
> Ugh.  She was way too polite.  Unsolicited private emails to
> random list
> posters are highly discouraged -- the Cygwin mailing list is
> the place to
> ask for help.

Well, with all due respect, I can see that contacting Cygwin maintainers and developers is a Bad Thing (tm), but contacting ordinary users is no mortal sin.  I was polite to her and she was polite in return.  I followed up by posting to the mailing list so the info would not be lost.

> I suspect you're still not running the official Cygwin bash
> -- it should
> set HOME automatically.  As I said above, try forcing the
> Cygwin bash by
> specifying the path to it explicitly.

I don't know much about the implementation of Cygwin bash, but perhaps it has a bug and it's not setting HOME like it should?  I think from the info I posted above that it's clearly not working as intended.

Thank you for your help so far, Igor.
- Jason Fritz