please test: coreutils-5.90-2

Eric Blake <ebb9 <at> byu.net> writes:

> I've uploaded a test version of coreutils, 5.90-1.  This is a new, unstable
> upstream release, with a number of changes from 5.3.0.  In particular, quite
> a few changes have been made upstream in regards to text vs. binary mode, so
> some feedback on this list would be appreciated before I promote the version
> to current (5.3.0-9 will remain current at least as long as cygwin-1.5.18-1
> stays current).  A full list from the NEWS file appears below.  I think
> 5.90-1 will work with 1.5.18, but my testing to date has only been on cygwin
> snapshots.  As coreutils provides quite a bit of programs in daily use, I
> would recommend that you not upgrade to the test version UNLESS you are
> willing to cope with and report regressions.

My bug in 'mkdir -p' in 5.90-1 proved immensely annoying, crippling such things
as attempting to build the cygwin dll from CVS.  So I have uploaded 5.90-2.  See
the earlier announcement,
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2005-10/msg00020.html, for the NEWS of
changes between 5.3.0 and 5.90.

Again, I am posting this as a test release.  This time, the release was compiled
against a cygwin snapshot, and WILL NOT WORK with cygwin 1.5.18 (a number of the
utilities depend on getline and getdelim, which were not present in 1.5.18).  If
you are going to test coreutils-5.90-2, you must first download a recent
snapshot of cygwin1.dll (20051003 has been working fine for me).  If you don't
know how to do that, then you are safer off sticking with the default
coreutils-5.3.0-9.  I would appreciate any feedback, so that when cygwin-1.5.19
is released, I can make this the current version of coreutils.

--
Eric Blake