on the road to 1.5.19 - snapshot testing needed

The latest snapshot is chock full of developer goodness and needs to
be tested.

Both Corinna and I spent a lot of time trying to track down the reported
fork() problems.  We didn't fix them* but this snapshot contains better
fork error reporting.

This snapshot also contains a rewrite of cygwin's method for
interprocess communication.  This means that /proc/NNN stuff (where NNN
is a pid) and fifos could be affected.  procps seems to work for me and
my simple fifo tests show that they are working as well as they ever did
(which means that they aren't fully implemented) but please report any
new problems there.

There is also a fix for LD_PRELOAD.  A problem crept in when I introduced
the ability for cygwin to detect when it is running a non-cygwin process.

Corinna revamped cygwin's "raw device" handling, so reading from raw
hard drives and floppies should be improved.  She cleaned up POSIX
semaphore handling a little and fixed the creation of some of cygwin's
shared memory regions so that they are globablly accessible.  She also
finally added a WinMainCRTStartup entry point to cygwin after eight
years.

I took a stab at speeding up fork slightly by eliminating some expensive
calls to the OS.

Yitzchak Scott-Thoeness introduced the ability to use 'siginfo' style
signal handlers.

Oh, and Corinna also fixed the rmdir foo/. (and similar mkdir) problem
although there are still other interesting problems with paths that end
in /. or /..

So, once again, I'd like to finally release this thing and so I'm asking
for testing help.  You all should know the drill by now but, just in case
you don't:

                          * * *

I'm asking, once again, for people to test the latest cygwin snapshot.
The snapshot that is currently available should be very close to an
official release of cygwin version 1.5.19.

Please report success or failure to this thread.  Please don't change
the subject.  Please don't start a new discussion.  If you have a
problem please report it using the guidelines found at
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.

If you think you've found an error, please indicate whether this is a
regression from 1.5.18 and, if possible, indicate regressions from
previous snapshots.  Regression from other past versions are worth
reporting, but are only mildly useful.  There are no guarantees that we
will fix a problem for 1.5.19 unless it is a regression from 1.5.18.

In general, just remember that we need *details*.  So, when reporting a
problem, report the exact steps that you took to cause the problem to
occur.  If there is anything "unusual" about your environment
(firewalls, virus checkers, etc.) please report that too.

Snapshots are located here: <http://cygwin.com/snapshots/>.

Thanks.

cgf

*http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2005-09/msg00945.html