Re: Compiling Apache2 under Cygwin with .so support

Please keep replies on the mailing list.
I'm taking this conversation back on-list.

Tod wrote:
Max Bowsher wrote:
Tod wrote:

I'm trying to compile Apache 2.0.54 under Cygwin.  I do this because I
like to keep the same configuration and file system organization to make
my build as portable as possbile under the different Unices I work with.

I like to compile apache with DSO support and all modules as shared
objects.  The compile seems to work fine but when I do the install all
the modules are named with either an .a or .la extension - I'm expecting
.so.  From various threads I've read there seems to be an issue with
libtool that contributes to this.
Have you not noticed that apache2 (with .so support) is available as
an official Cygwin package through setup.exe ??
Yes I did.  I tried to pick up the source to see how the build was done
but the source option was not available.

The source is definitely on the mirrors.

I always build Apache by hand. See my initial portability comment above.

Wouldn't a few symlinks accomplish the same purpose with much less fuss?

If push comes to shove I may have to use the official Cygwin port but
I'd like to be able to just do a ./configure and make like I do on the
other platforms :)

Patches are necessary to get things building dynamically on Cygwin, so any existing build recipe alone won't be enough.

Incidentally mod_php,
and mySQL is next so advice there would be appreciated  too.

I've got php5 to compile, but I've got a fair bit of work to do on it before I can release an official package.

When you say you got php to compile did you mean as an Apache module?

Yes.

Max.