Re: make and nmake

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 09:08:56AM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
> Mark Beckwith wrote:
> >
> >dll: NMakefile
> >    $(shell nmake /f NMakefile)
>
> Why do you need to use $(shell)?  You can call an external program
> directly from within a build rule.  $(shell) is for instances where you
> need to capture the output of an external program into a variable, or
> something like that.

Well, if I just run nmake, I get an nmake error:
NMAKE : fatal error U1065: invalid option '-'

The real problem here is that nmake is just so gimpy.  I don't want to
waste this list's time (or my time for that matter) anymore.  I'll check
the GNU make list.  I was just hoping there was some env variable I could
set or something simple.

Thanks,

Mark

--