fopen cannot open device name on windows xp

Hi Jason,

Sorry to have to send this to you.  I've been looking
for answer and have posted this on the forum but no
luck so far.  I remember your name from a few
experience and knowledgeable in cygwin.  Hope you can
give me some hints as why fopen returns NULL on device
name in windows xp.

I've a c program that prints to network printer by
getting a filehandle from
fopen("//computer1/printer1", "wb").  That has always
worked on Windows 95, 98 & 2000.

When it's running under windows xp (sp1 or sp2), fopen
returns a NULL. Has any one had a similar problem?  Is
there a solution to this?

Thank you