Re: ls -lrt / shows /dev....

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 05:03:25PM -0700, Brian Dessent wrote:
> >Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> >
> >> I have noted (with snap 20050901) that now in '/' it appears 'dev'
> >> (virtual) directory (and proc):
> >
> >http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-08/msg01098.html
> >
> >> Are the message : 'ls: /dev: No such file or directory',
> >
> >Yes.
> >
> >> and the date:
> >>
> >>              Jan  1  1970 dev
> >>
> >> correct?
> >
> >Correct, but the time probably could be set to something more friendly
> >than the unix epoch.  In this case /dev is a completely synthetic entity
> >so there is no actual timestamp to report.  Maybe it should report the
> >time that the computer was booted.
>
> It really isn't worth the effort to implement this.  Eventually, /dev
> will be something more like a mountable entity but, for now, I thought
> it would be useful for it to show up in / to stop the "/d<tab> doesn't
> show up in command line completion" complaints.
>
> If I've just traded the command line completion complaints for the above
> I guess it wasn't a very good trade.

Unfortunately, command line completion on /d<tab> is pretty useless unless
you can also do /d<tab>nu<tab> and get /dev/null.  As you said, populating
the /dev directory is non-trivial...  Since "mknod" works now, why not
just create the directory?  Hmm, didn't I post a version of
create_devices.sh that uses "mknod"?  FWIW, having /dev as a real
directory also allows things like "cd /dev && ln -s scd0 cdrom && ln -s
dsp audio".
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/