Re: Updating Cygwin without X

Dai Conrad wrote:

> I had used lilypond ages ago under linux, and installed it hoping to
> get back into it, but never found time.  I thought that it ran
> "headless", transforming text files into sheet music files, without
> any graphical display, and didn't realize that it requires pango,
> pango-runtime, libXft2, xorg-X11-bin-dlls, etc.  Similarly, I thought
> jasper was like other graphics libs, and didn't realize it would
> require freeglut, xorg-X11-bin-dlls, etc.

Recent snapshot versions of setup.exe have a dependency checker that
will give you a list of any broken dependencies.  Using this you could
deselect the X libs, press Next, and it would show you a list of "pango:
required by lilypond ; xorg-x11-bin-dlls: required by pango" and so on.
It's slightly better than having to read setup.ini manually but still
perhaps not as intuitive as it could be.

> It was a bit tricky uninstalling these things.  For instance, with
> libXft, libXft1, and libXft2 all installed, any one of them you click
> on to set it to "Uninstall" sets the other two to "Keep".  I
> ultimately had to run setup ten or twelve times to uninstall
> everything because of all the items that were "sticky" like that.  If
> there isn't a way to make it less aggressive in forcing the selection
> of dependent items, it might be a good addition.

Yes indeed, uninstalling X11 is currently quite an annoying task to do
with setup.  There should definitely be a way to make this easier but
SHTDI.

Brian