Re: Permissions, again

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:

> So I'm using smbntsec as the security setting, and it worked like a
> charm.  I've still got a problem, though - the files I create are
> losing the "inherit permissions" attribute, and I don't know how to
> get that attribute back without using the XP file dialog window.  Can
> I get chmod (or some other program) to save the day for me?

Cygwin maps POSIX permissions to Windows ACLs.  In particular, one
decision that was made was to replace the ACLs instead of appending to
them, to better reflect the POSIX permission model.

chmod, and other POSIX programs know nothing about ACLs (which is where
inheritance is specified).  You should, however, be able to use
"getfacl/setfacl" to do what you want.
HTH,
	Igor
--