Permissions and Shared Folders

I must really be missing something here; I hope someone can give a
brief explanation and (as a bonus) direct me to where I can find out
more.

I've been trying to copy files off a Windows XP shared folder in Windows
explorer, and it keeps telling me that I don't have permission to do
so.  When I look at the files permissions with ATTRIB, I see that it
is read-only, and when I look at the file with DIR /Q, I see that its
owner is PENGUIN\dave.  That's the username under which I've mounted
the drive.

So then it occurs to me, maybe Cygwin permissions are getting in the
way somehow.  I do a chmod -R g+r on the directory and presto, I can
copy files!

What confuses me about this is that:

  a.  I'm connected as the owner of the file, so why should group
      permissions make any difference?

  b.  Windows XP doesn't seem to have the notion of group permissions.
      I can find "Groups" if I dig hard, in Administrative Tools>
      Computer Management, but I don't see any indication that I can
      set or view group permissions.  On the other hand, what are
      Groups for if not controlling access?

So, can anyone explain this?  Also, is there a comprehensive overview
of the relationship between the Cygwin and Windows filesystems
somewhere?

Thanks very much in advance,
--
Dave Abrahams