Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: [Bug c++/14563] octave built under Cygwin very slow]

At 02:47 PM 8/9/2005, you wrote:
>--- "John W. Eaton"  wrote:
>

>> On  9-Aug-2005, Shai Ayal wrote:
>>
>> | I think the problem is that the --disable-sjlj-exceptions is not a
>> | compiler flag, rather it is a flag you give when you compile the
>> | compiler. Thus to test it one would have to get the souces of GCC
>> | 3.3.3 and compile it on cygwin with the above flag, than use this
>> | compiler to compile octave. This is a very time consuming effort since
>> | compilation on cygwin are painfully slow -- on my P4 with winXP it
>> | take several hours to compile octave -- I don't know exactly how many
>> | since I always just leave it overnight
>>
>> Does the Cygwin DLL also use exception handling?  If so, I suspect
>> that you would need to compile it with the same compiler so that the
>> exception handling model matches the one used by applications that
>> depend on the Cygwin DLL.  But I'm not sure of the details, so that
>> might not be required.
>>
>> jwe

>experts can comment.

Since Cygwin can certainly be built with the Cygwin version of gcc and
since that version of gcc uses --enable-sjlj-exceptions (as determined
by "gcc -v"), I think it's fair to assume that the Cygwin DLL is built
with this exception handling option on.  If you're looking for history
on the use of the particular exception handling flags with Cygwin, the
email archives has some discussions on this.

Holliston, MA 01746