Re: more in insert and copy from clipboard

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, J. David Boyd wrote:

> Is there some setting that tells Cygwin to use/not use the windows
> clipboard.

Nope, Cygwin *always* uses the Windows clipboard when you use
/dev/clipboard.  If that's not what you mean, you'll have to be more
specific about exactly what you're trying to do.

> For the longest time, I have been merryly cutting and pasting between
> firefox, notepad, a bash shell, emacs, etc, all using ctrl-insert and
> shft-insert.
>
> Sometime in the recent past, this no longer works.  I can cut and paste
> between all of my cygwin programs no problem, but there is no
> communication with the windows side of things.

Are you complaining that the bash shell no longer uses Ctrl-Insert to copy
and Shift-Insert to paste?  What do you use to select the text to
copy/paste?  If you use the mouse, then it's not the bash shell that
copies the text -- it's the console that the shell is running in (i.e., a
cmd.exe window).  AFAIK, that uses the Windows clipboard, just like all
the other Windows apps.  Pasting, however, could happen either via the
console, or via a Bash key binding.

> Did I turn off something somewhere.  I've perused the docs some, but
> haven't found anything worthwhile yet.

Why not take those on one at a time?  Are you able to copy the text from
bash to other apps?  If not, there's something wrong with the console
settings -- select "Properties" from the Alt-Space menu, and see if the
"QuickEdit Mode" is selected.  That should let you mark text with the
mouse and press Enter to copy it to the clipboard (don't think Ctrl-Insert
will work).

Pasting can happen in two ways.  If QuickEdit mode is enabled,
right-clicking in the console window should paste the clipboard contents
(via the Windows means).  Or, bash has a function called
"paste-from-clipboard" that you can bind a key combo to in your ~/.inpurc.
Try binding, say, the Shift-Insert key combination to that function, and
it should work.

If this doesn't help, please describe exactly what you're trying to do,
what worked before, and what doesn't work now.  Getting some information
about your system as requested in <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> would
also help.
	Igor
--