Re: Proposed FAQ in DocBook (Attn: tetex maintainer)

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski writes:
>
> > Probably, but a successful build of the Cygwin HTML documentation relies
> > on texi2html being present.
>
> Ah.
>
> > It would have been nice to at least announce that texi2html is no
> > longer packaged, and/or package it separately.  I don't see that in
> > your tetex-3.0.0 announcements.  IMO, that's what announcements are
> > *for*.
>
> It wasn't dropped intentionally, as it wasn't even supposed to be in 2.0.x.
>
> >> Fwiw, my last tetex-2.0.2-15 mknetrel script also has
> >> --without-texi2html.
> >
> > This seems to contradict
> > <http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=tetex-bin%2Ftetex-bin-2.0.2-15&grep=bin%2Ftexi2html>.
>
> Indeed.  I'm not sure what that means, maybe the --without-texi2html
> switch was broken in 2.0.x.
>
> > To reiterate -- I don't want this e-mail to come off as a demand for
> > something.
>
> It didn't.  I'll try building with --with-texi2html, and see if that
> works.  If it's not too much trouble, texi2html will be in the next
> release.

Thanks, Jan.  FWIW, as I understand it, texi2html is just a perl script
plus a manpage.  It may be worth putting them into their own separate
package (that depends on tetex).  If you want to discuss it, let's do so
on cygwin-apps.

As for the copy of texi2html in cygwin-doc sources, would it make more
sense to try to converge on the options for texi2html in the Makefile?
I'm not sure what defaults have changed between versions, but it may be
possible to control those with appropriate command-line options.  Just a
suggestion.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/