RE: Bash behavior change 2.05b-17 vs 2.05b-16

> According to Victor Atkinson on 7/25/2005 1:23 PM:
>> I believe that it is Bash itself that is causing this behavior, and not
some
>> underlying Cygwin mechanism, for two reasons:  First, the backslash
format
>> of the command works fine under zsh, tcsh, and csh.  Second, backslashed
>> paths work fine under Bash, if used as parameters to built-in commands
like
>> cd, or external commands like wzzip.exe.
>
> Indeed, bash was following the letter of the law of POSIX - it invokes a
> PATH search unless the first non-assignment word of the command includes a
> '/'.  So in bash-3.0-10, I will patch that to also skip path searches if
> the command starts with <letter>: or includes '\\'.

Thanks, Eric.  I think that would be a good all-around solution.  I really
appreciate your effort in working on this, and making tools and environments
like Bash available to the rest of us, so that we can be productive.  I
shudder to think of where I would be if I had to rely of Redmond to get my
job (electrical engineering) done.