RE: echo $?

Ugh - top-posting.  Reformatted.

> > Well, bash-3.0-7 has a known display bug, and bash-3.0-8 requires
> > cygwin-1.5.18 or newer, so it might help.  But your cygcheck.out
> > shows some other problems.  First, in Windows, you have SHELL
> > defined as c:\MKS\mksnt\sh.exe, which is NOT the cygwin shell,
> > and may be interfering (although the path search only found
> > c:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe, which is good).  Second, you show
> > ash-20040127-1 and bash-2.05b-17, even though your earlier
> > report of the changed prompt would imply that you really have
> > ash-20040127-3 and bash-3.0-7 or newer; I have no idea what
> > is really going on, or if you even attached the correct cygcheck.
>
> Well, For now I just copied an old version of sh in. Is this going to be
> fixed in future builds? I have the same issue with the .18 build as
> well.

To repeat myself, the change in behavior is not due to an upgrade
of cygwin to 1.5.18, but due to an upgrade to bash-3.0-x.  (Yes,
setup.exe upgrades both programs).  Also, bash-3.0-8 attempts a
workaround to a known display bug present in bash-3.0-7.  You
have yet to provide an accurate cygcheck.out that lists the true
version of bash you are running (even "bash --version" would be
helpful, here).  And if there really is a bug, it will continue to be
present in future bash releases unless you can help reduce it to a
reproducible test case.  So far, I have been unable to recreate
the situation you described.  I also wonder if the MKS toolset,
installed by some other program, is causing interference with
your cygwin installation.

--
Eric Blake